THE ERA OF SUSTAINABILITY AND YOUR INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTION


My theme is going to speak to sustainability within the context of the natural environment as a whole. It is going to speak to sustainability of the natural environment as an era and trend. The theme will deal with sustainability of the natural environment as a result of man’s sensitivity to depleting natural resources within the natural environment due to selfish and careless usage by man. In the process the theme will look at when man started feeling the pinch of depletion, and therefore concern for preservation, and for that matter for posterity.

Most of all, the theme is going to look at how, through individual attitude and lifestyle sustainability can be attained, using my humble self as an example!

The Encyclopedia section of The Free Dictionary by Farlex gives us this input: The concept of sustainability can be traced back to President Theodore Roosevelt, who stated in 1910, “I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use the natural resources of our land; but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob, by wasteful use, the generations that come after us.” In 1987 the United Nations World Commission on Environment and Development (the Brundtland Commission) defined a sustainable development as one that “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” Sustainability has three interdependent dimensions—the environment, economics, and society—often referred to as the triple bottom line.

In the foregoing, in 1910, President Theodore Roosevelt (USA), expressed sensitivity to the use of the resources of the natural environment, such that the use of the natural resources of the natural environment by one generation is not done to the deprivation of another generation. It can, I believe, be said that, President Roosevelt in 1910 was saying that man must be measured in their use of the natural resources of the natural environment.

The quote from the Encyclopedia says sustainability has “three interdependent dimensions- the environment, economics, and society...”

Of the three interdependent dimensions, the natural environment is the most fundamental. Economics derives from the natural environment. Extraction, production and distribution of goods and services happens from, and within the natural environment. Society provides the space for individuals of common interests to bond together- this also happens within the natural environment. The individuals themselves require materials from the natural environment to sustain their bio-chemical lives.

At the center of the three interdependent dimensions of environment, economics and society is man! 

At the center of the consumption of the natural resources of the natural environment is man!

So what are you as an individual, critically important as you are in the sustainability equation, doing to attain sustainability?

In my own humble practical ways, in the home, I share with you how I contribute to the sustenance of the natural environment for posterity, and hopefully as example to inspire you.

WATER

I share with you how I preserve water in the house. Remember that the world is running out of water.

I harvest and store rain water for fruit plants in particular. That helps to cut down on tap water usage.

When I wash my clothes I recycle the water I use in washing them. I wash manually. In the first bucket of water I wash with soap. In the second bucket of water I do the first rinsing of that which was washed in the first bucket. In the third bucket of water I do the second and last rinsing of the clothes before hanging them on the clothes line to dry.

Then comes the recycling of the used water.

I use the soapy water in the first bucket to scrub the toilet in the house.

I use the soapy water to scrub the bathroom in the house.

I use the soapy water to mop the floor.

I use the soapy water to scrub drains (open) in the house.

I use used water in the second and third buckets to flush toilet.

The recycled water used in doing the chores I have stated here saves fresh water. It saves water because I did not throw away the used water for fresh water but used it in doing the chores.

In the front of the house I have planted a lawn that can withstand drought. I do not water it from the tap. It gets brown during the dry season, but when it rains it gets green, hardly believing it was the same brown lawn. It does not die! I used a grass that is that tough and resilient. This way I sustain water.

If I save ten gallons of water a year thus, and you save ten a year, and others do the same, or even to lesser extent, having in mind 7.5 billion persons inhabiting planet Earth, you can imagine the amount of water that should be saved for posterity.     

 

PLASTIC

Be reminded that we are talking about using natural resources of the natural environment in such a way that it will not compromise the share of future generations.

Plastic is one material that is doing a lot of harm to the natural environment. Its decomposition is very difficult. It can be found in drains. It can be found in water bodies. It can be found in the soil. It is killing animals in the sea. How do we minimize the use of plastic for a sustainable natural environment?

In my small way this is how I do it.

I recycle plastic. The plastic carrier bags I get from shops I keep for reuse.

After family meetings in the house, my sisters use the plastic bags I keep in the house to carry food items instead of buying fresh plastic bags.

After parties in the house, plastic carrier bags are needed to carry food and other items- I supply them through the reuse of the carrier bags I keep.

I myself reuse the plastic bags I get from shopping malls to buy other items.

I gather water sachet (from water I buy) and give it out for recycling by water companies.

By recycling plastic I am beating down demand and consumption for it. In my circumstance, for example, instead of one person using a plastic carrier bag once, and disposing it off to pollute the natural environment, two persons are using one plastic carrier bag! That reduces the rate of pollution that much!

I look up for biodegradable plastic bags, which are environmentally friendly. 

ELECTRICITY

You may be wondering how electricity is connected to sustainability. Electricity is derived from sources and resources such as water, coal etc. Extraction and processing of coal affects the natural environment negatively. There is carbon emission in the process. This is not the natural environment you should like to leave for your children.

What follows is my shot at sustainable lifestyle from the perspective of electricity:

I do not iron my jeans after washing it, and drying it in sunlight.

I do not iron my bedsheet after washing it, and drying it in sunlight.

I do not iron my pillow case after washing it, and washing it in sunlight.

I do not iron my socks after washing it, and drying it in sunlight.

When I iron my tee shit, for example, I iron only one side. I do not flip it to iron the other side.

I hardly turn on light in many places in the house. I turn light on when the need arises. People laugh at me, wondering why I live in darkness. They are the ones living in darkness not knowing we are in the era of sustainability!

SOIL

When it comes to soil, as a principle, I go organic.

I feed plants in my garden with dung of birds, fowl and horse. I put the dung in the soil. I mix it with the soil.

I do not throw away fruit and vegetable waste. I gather them and allow them to rot into the soil, thereby replenishing or enriching it (compost of a sort).

I use grass I cut from my garden as mulch for plants. It allows for water retention in the soil.

ERA

The reason behind the modern era of sustainability is the unsustainable consumption of the resources of the natural environment by an ever rapidly increasing human population resulting in depletion.

Through the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_sustainability the United Nations’ World Commission on Environment and Development explains further thus:

In 1987 the United Nation's World Commission on Environment and Development (the Brundtland Commission), in its report Our Common Future suggested that development was acceptable, but it must be sustainable development that would meet the needs of the poor while not increasing environmental problems. Humanity's demand on the planet has more than doubled over the past 45 years as a result of population growth and increasing individual consumption. In 1961 almost all countries in the world had more than enough capacity to meet their own demand; by 2005 the situation had changed radically with many countries able to meet their needs only by importing resources from other nations.[6] A move toward sustainable living by increasing public awareness and adoption of recycling, and renewable energies emerged. The development of renewable sources of energy in the 1970s and '80s, primarily in wind turbines and photovoltaics and increased use of hydroelectricity, presented some of the first sustainable alternatives to fossil fuel and nuclear energy generation, the first large-scale solar and wind power plants appearing during the 1980s and '90s.[38][39] Also at this time many local and state governments in developed countries began to implement small-scale sustainability policies.[40]

Now, more than ever, is the era of sustainability. Swim with the current of sustainability. Do not swim against the current of sustainability.

TREND

Many more are talking about renewables. Many more are talking about clean energy. Many more are talking about solar panels. Many more are talking about solar energy. Many more are talking about wind energy. More money is being pumped into research in these areas. Renewables have become the epicenter of discussion in board rooms. There are cars on the road using electricity, not gasoline. I walk in Accra, Ghana, West Africa, and I see solar panels on the roof of some buildings. There is a hotel behind my house with solar panels on the roof. Ten years ago that was not the case. There is a growing shift from fossil fuel to renewables.

Through the link https://www.businessgreen.com/sponsored/3011063/the-sustainability-shift-the-last-decade BusinessGreen comments on the shift to sustainability as a trend as follows:

Firstly there has been a growing recognition of the global challenges posed by issues such as climate change, limited natural resources, and population growth. In response, the international community has stepped up in developing laws, policies and goals calling on all stakeholders to play its part. From the 17 Sustainable Development Goals as part of the UN's 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through to the Paris Climate Accord and the EU's tough carbon targets, sustainability is now firmly on the global agenda. The result means that there has been a growing expectation on business to play its part.

Secondly, consumers themselves have also played an important role in driving up stronger sustainability standards. Consumers are increasingly making purchasing decisions - and willing to pay more - for products and services they see as sustainable or coming from socially and environmentally responsible companies. 

CONCLUSION

Man finds themselves in the natural environment. A natural environment full of resources to sustain their biological and chemical lives. The resources in the natural environment were to be used in a sustainable way. One generation was not to use the resources to the deprivation of another generation. In the course of the history of man, particularly from the beginning of the industrial revolution (1850), and human population explosion, man finds that they are not using the resources of the natural environment sustainably. Thus man poses before themselves extinction, because the very resources that were to keep them alive is running out!

The modern era of sustainability is a reaction to that realization and danger.

The era of sustainability is an opportunity for restoration and redirection. The era of sustainability is an opportunity for balance and stability for the natural environment. The era of sustainability gives opportunity for a bright prospect for posterity.

I have illustrated this theme with myself as an example. I am not as good as I ought to be but I am trying and not giving up. My hope is that you will also tread the path of sustainability for the good of all (individually and collectively) that inhabit the natural environment, now and the future.

Brighten the corner where you are!     




Comments