DISPOSAL OF SPENT BATTERY


At a time, this very laptop I am using to type this post failed to reboot. I fidgeted with the laptop for a while hoping it could reboot. It did not reboot. As a last resort I took it to a repairer. The repairer examined it, even a diagnostic examination, with a view to identifying the cause of the problem. After the examination I was told that I need to change the charger of the laptop. As a response, I bought a new charger. But the new charger did not fix the problem. The problem persisted. The next move was for me to buy a new battery because the repairer speculated that the battery was dead. I bought a new battery, and the old one was removed to be replaced with the new one. The laptop did not reboot still after the old battery was replaced. I had to leave the laptop with the repairer for further examination. Eventually, the problem was identified and fixed, after those tentative moves.
After the repairer notified me that the problem had been fixed I went to the workshop to collect my laptop. Going to the workshop, I went with the old charger and battery for the repairer to try them on the laptop. When they were tried the laptop worked, meaning the diagnosis of the charger and the battery being the causes of the inability of the laptop to work were wrong.  The new battery I bought was expensive so I asked the repairer to take it back and refund my money to me (the repairer bought the battery for me). The repairer did not do that. I then decided to keep the battery for future use.
Battery is very important in this our digital day. As I lie on my bed typing this post, there are many things around me that use battery. Without battery these gadgets cannot function to give me the services I desire. In the comfort of my bed I turn on my television set. In the comfort of my bed I turn off my television set. In the comfort of my bed I change television channels. I do these things through a remote control. The remote control is powered by battery to enable it function as described here. Other things around me that use battery for our convenience and comfort are wrist watch, radio, mobile phone, torch, etc.
This blog is a blog of the natural environment so I suppose you are anticipating this subject’s interface with the natural environment.
This subject’s interface with the natural environment in this post is the disposal of a battery on its expiry. As is obvious battery is made from materials from the natural environment. The issue is that a spent battery on going back to the natural environment from where it originated materially, does it contaminate the natural environment with toxins? A battery, in this context, is define as a container made up of two or more cells, in which chemical energy is converted into electricity as a source of power.
Some materials used in making battery which are toxic are lead, mercuryand cadmium. Environmentally friendly batteries have environmental symbols on them indicating what to do with them after usage. When batteries are not disposed of so as to be recycled, they end up in landfill for example, leaching toxins into soil and water bodies. There are designated points for disposing of spent batteries to be recycled, kindly find them for the deposition of your spent batteries. In Ghana for example, some guys come around collecting e-waste, for processing. You ought to gather your e-waste, including battery, for them. These guys buy e-waste. You may make a little money out of battery disposal.

While battery plays a critical role in our digital lives, let us make sure we dispose of it in a manner that does not compromise a clean and balanced natural environment. As our forebears successively bequeathed this natural environment to us so must we bequeath a worthy natural environment to posterity successively.

Comments