A BOOMERANG


Yesterday morning I got up to check the gutter in front of the house I live in. I do a regular check to clear the gutter of materials that it is not supposed to convey or contain. Pursuant to my regular clearance, and after I checked the gutter I realized a need to clear some foreign materials from the gutter. The materials I normally clear from the gutter are plastic, stones, wood, crown of soda drinks and shaving blade. Other foreign materials that are thrown into the gutter are excreta, soap, fruit and vegetable peelings etc. The plastic is made up of mainly discarded water sachet, yoghurt sachet and black polythene bags.
Today as I was leaving the house, I checked the gutter again to find out its state of cleanliness after I cleaned it yesterday. To my annoyance I found some plastic in the gutter. The gutter was not meant to carry certain materials like the ones I have already mentioned. Gutters are meant to be conveyer belts for liquid waste! Gutters eventually empty themselves into bigger conveyer belts like water bodies, which together flow over one massive global network of water conveyer belt. This massive conveyer belt comprise of rivers, springs, oceans, seas etc.
Just about 200 meters behind my house is the Atlantic Ocean. The gutter that runs in front of the house I live in empties itself into the Atlantic Ocean. The gutter was designed to convey a particular type of material- liquid waste. However, when it rains, it conveys everything (liquid waste and others) in it into the Atlantic Ocean, in this instance. 
The foreign materials in a gutter, when not taken out of the gutter, end up in a water body polluting it. You depend on water for your life. The water you drink every day is derived from a water body. The quality of the water body determines the quality of the water you drink. The long and short of it is that the foreign material you drop into a gutter running in front of your house may determine the quality of the water you drink. It is a boomerang!

Dropping foreign materials into gutters is not a sustainable lifestyle and do not augur well for a clean and balanced natural environment. You better stop it!

Comments