LITTERING THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT


This morning I was on my way to buy instant food when at a point in my way two young men came into view ahead of me. For some reason I cannot explained I trained my eyes on them. Then something happen. One of the young men who was drinking water from a sachet emptied the sachet and dropped it on the ground, took a handkerchief out of his pocket and dried his wet hands with it. Gentlemen keep handkerchiefs on them, but gentlemen don’t throw litter about like this young guy did- a paradox! I kept training my eyes on the two young guys as we moved along. Sooner rather than latter the other young man too dropped another water sachet.
Later in the day, in the afternoon, on getting off a tro tro (a minibus taxi in Ghana, West Africa), my eyes caught a lady who also got off a tro tro drinking from a sachet of water. I quickly stopped to find out if this young lady was going to drop the water sachet like the two young guys did. She finished drinking the water but did not drop the water sachet. She held on to the water sachet to as far as my eyes could see her.
The environment is littered with plastic waste. Everywhere one passes there is plastic waste. In Ghana when it comes to personal plastic waste management, there are two types of people as depicted in this post. One type does not give a damn where they drop plastic waste. On the other hand, the other type are determined to hold on to their waste till they get to the appropriate place to drop it.

Unfortunately, the former type appears to have the upper hand, as the global environment as whole is littered with plastic waste!    

Comments