JEANS, A POLLUTANT OF THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT?


Without a doubt jeans is a popular garment. A garment liked by the old and young. The garment has a universal appeal. As I type this post I can see my jeans at the back of the door of my room. I remember when I was a student in the seventies I wore jeans bellbottom in school and it surprised people. It surprised people because jeans were hardly flared at the bottom. Then again as students the dirtier the jeans was the more acceptable it was. A philosophy espoused and spread by manufacturers themselves was that jeans should not be washed frequently. Then, jeans as fashion was a mark of a hip generation. As students we wanted to be identified as such (some of us).
Since the nineteen seventies, and even way before that jeans or blue jeans has gone through many changes while still very popular. A whole range of materials and processes go into the making and wearing of jeans.
I should touch on an aspect of the processing and caring of jeans and its impact on the environment.
An aspect of the processing of jeans is sandblasting intended to give the jeans a certain appealing look. In the process of sandblasting silica dust is released into the air thus polluting it. When the dust is inhaled over time it causes respiratory problems-silicosis.

There is also a problem with caring of jeans. I have hinted that manufacturers want jeans washed less frequently. Well think of the body odor and dirt the jeans will accumulate, which will eventually be released into the natural environment as pollutants.  

Comments